Autosurfer by Erich Schneider
Mon Sep 5 04:15:02 PDT 2016
I've been attempting National
Novel Writing Month every year since 2002. The goal is to
write 50000 words of fiction during the calendar month of November.
I failed in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, and 2012, and won in 2005, 2006, 2007,
2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. Every year (except
for 2016, where I took a break and wrote pastiche in someone else's
universe) I work on the same "novel," writing additional chapters which I
will later concatenate, although this is technically forbidden by the
Nanowrimo rules. So if you're a stickler, I've never won and you can go
- Titles of yearly efforts:
- Flowers Become Screams 2002: The Heresiarchs
- Flowers Become Screams 2003: Auto-da-fe
- Flowers Become Screams 2004: Litany for the Eldest Battle-Queen
- Flowers Become Screams 2005: The Ibex and the Aurochs
- Flowers Become Screams 2006: The Country of the Stars Falling
- Flowers Become Screams 2007: Till the Moon Burns us Away
- Flowers Become Screams 2008: The Garden of Grieving Memory
- Flowers Become Screams 2009: Feynman Diagram Over a Fleshpit
- Flowers Become Screams 2010: The Sea is Cold and the Sky is Empty
- Flowers Become Screams 2011: Of or Pertaining to the Seething Outer Madness
- Flowers Become Screams 2012: The Dance that Ends the World
- Flowers Become Screams 2013: Cocaine and Sweetmeats, lama
- Flowers Become Screams 2014: Chooser of the Slain
- Flowers Become Screams 2015: The Law of Milk and Horn
- Flowers Become Screams 2017: The Vault of Faith
I tried and failed Script
Frenzy in 2007 -- it's the screenplay equivalent of
Nanowrimo: write a 20000-word screenplay during the calendar month
of June. I got about halfway through, but I lost momentum when my
cat died on the 7th, and I never got all the way back in the game.
It didn't help that the story sucked.
- Scriptfrenzy 2007: The Apparatus War
- Collecting my brother's thoughts on
Columbo, 1970s tv detective.
a web-based gale client.
Some of it in product
I went to a
school in Mexico
experience I would recommend to others.
Ongoing mysterious notes to myself.
Feeding myself, September, 2000, and the
demo programs, a summer research project in 1998.
a mesh editing tool that incorporates mesh subdivision and
linear time Taubin smoothing to allow real-time smooth deformations,
for CS 174c, 1997.
editor for parallel programs written in mcc, for CS 139c, 1997.
game I wrote for CS174a, 1996.
synthesis, project for
It has been suggested that every home page should have a blurb
describing the author's life so that when people run into each other
they won't have to cover the boring basics every single time because
they've checked the home page. So pay attention.
Quick Life Statement
Since the last installment, seven years
ago, I have continued working at Google, slowly becoming what I
had always feared: someone who believes in his employer. It is not
that I'm a believer in our product decisions, particularly the
increasingly awkward issues around account management, but that I
believe that this is where the state of the art in distributed systems
infrastructure is being developed, and that that's my calling. The
company has treated me pretty well, considering that I'm forging my
own weird path focusing on low-level and unloved systems, and I enjoy
traveling to offices around the world.
I don't write as much for my own benefit as I used to. It's something
I'd like to fix. But the downside of that previous paragraph is that
a lot of my energy is going into the company instead of my own
I bought a condo in San Francisco, one block from the apartment I
rented for 7.5 years, because it turns out this is the place I want
My cat, Wiener Dog, died in 2007. I have a new cat, Oliver
My brother lives in Bellingham, WA. One sister lives in central
Washington; she has two children of whom I am very fond. The other
sister lives in southern Washington and works in Portland, OR, but is
considering a move to the Bay Area. Both sisters are married to
good-hearted men. My parents are retired and spend roughly half their
time traveling. For more details, befriend them on Facebook.
Twice as clear as heaven. Twice as loud as reason.